Which programming platforms does PLCcom support?
PLCcom for S7 is available in three versions:
- Net version
The .Net version supports classic .Net Framework programming. Furthermore, the delivery package contains a version for .Net-Standard Version 2.0 and .Net 5.0
This component can be used to develop .Net Core, Xamarin, UWP or Unity applications.
In addition, a NuGet package is provided at nuget.org
- Windows CE version
It supports the development of applications under Windows CE Version 5 or higher.
- Java version
The Java version provides developers with a Java component for Java application development, e.g. with Eclipse or Netbeans. Since version 9, the development of Android apps is also supported.
Which system components are required for the operation of PLCcom?
The following system components are required for the operation of PLCcom:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or higher (.Net version) or
- Microsoft .NET Core 3.0 or higher (.Net version) or
- Microsoft .NET 5.0 or higher (.Net version) or
- Xamarin.iOS Version 12.16 or higher (.Net version)
- Xamarin.Mac Version 5.16 or higher (.Net version)
- Xamarin.Android Version 10.0 or higher (.Net version)
- Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 (CE version)
- Java JRE8 (openJRE8) or higher (Java version)
- Android API 21 or higher (Java version)
- External component Jssc to provide serial ports for Java (Java Version, but not for Android see chapter "Important notes on using PLCcom on Android")
To execute code examples:
- Visual Studio 2013 or higher (.Net-Version)
- Visual Studio 2008 (CE Version)
- Netbeans 8 or higher (Java)
- Eclipse in Version Oxigenor higher (Java Version)
Important notes for using PLCcom on Android
Due to the lack of serial ports, it is not possible to use the following objects on Android:
Attempting to create an instance of the above classes ends with an error of type java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
Furthermore, the usage of the PLCCom.FileSystemConnector object must be at least Android API Version 26 or higher, in deviation to the above mentioned information.
Due to the general system conditions under Android, it is assumed that the use of the above-mentioned objects on Android does not matter and the restrictions are negligible.
Does PLCcom also runs in 32-Bit- and 64-Bit-environments?
Yes, PLCcom runs in 32-Bit- and 64-Bit-environments.
Are API calls for the operation of PLCcom necessary?
The libraries are, depending on the version, to 100% Java or .Net code.
You can embed the driver directly as a link; API calls are not necessary.
It is no problem to use the component in 32- or 64-Bit-environments, as well as across platforms.
Where can I find programming examples and the documentation?
What should be considered when using PLCcom in a network?
The network participants must be able to connect with the network. The connection must not be interrupted by a firewall or similar. In particular, the port 102 in the direction of the PLC must be open.
How can I understand the basic principle of the PLCcom license model?
The license model of PLCcom is kept as simple as possible.
All licenses are made available as developer licenses.
The fee-based professional license entitles a developer for industrial/commercial development of individual software (definition see EULA) with the PLCcom component.
Can I use PLCcom non-commercial free of charge for teaching purposes at a school/university?
If you need a free license for non-commercial usage for schools or universities please contact us via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You'll receive a serial key as soon as possible.
How can I get the licenses?
To get the licenses you have the following possibilities:
- on our website
- by sending an email to email@example.com
- by phone at +49 421 989703-30
- by fax to +49 421 989703-39
How is the license within the PLCcom Runtime to install?
You must transfer the submitted license key within your software to the PLCcom entity.
In our company the number of employees who work on a project keeps changing. Therefore, the number of licenses required changes. Is there a possibility for a flat-rate licensing?
Please contact us in this case. We will then create an offer for a company license.
Is the passing of the license to my clients possible?
No, if your customer wants to make a further development of your software, the customer needs an own license.
What type of PLC and devices can I connect with PLCcom?
PLCCom is compatible to Siemens S7 controllers (200, 300, 400, 1200s, 1500s series, SoftPLC WinAC RTX and Logo! 0BA7, 0BA8 and 0BA0) and other manufacturers (eg VIPA 100V/200V/300V/300S).
What happens to my data after registration?
The data entered by you will be kept confidential in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act.
A processing of the data occur only for internal purposes, such as the management of licenses, newsletter etc. A disclosure to third parties is excluded.
Supports PLCcom querying or writing variables with symbolic addressing from a S7 PLC?
"PLCcom for S7" currently does not offer symbolic access to S7 controllers.
The reasons for this lie in legal concerns as well as in different protocol implementations within the TIA firmware versions.
The only way to access symbolic tags currently approved and supported by Siemens is through the OPC UA protocol.
You are welcome to use our "Opc Ua Client Sdk" for this. The library was of course extensively tested for accessing S7 controllers.
We are happy to advise you, please contact us.
Access to a S7-1200 or 1500 PLC doesn't work, what should I do?
It is possible to access inputs, outputs, flags and accessible DBs. The access to a S7-1200 or 1500 is disabled by default. You have to process the following steps:
1. Allow the general Access. Activate in the property settings section protection the option 'Connection mechanism - Allow access PUT/GET communication from remote partner'.
2. Enable access to your DBs. DB properties --> Deactivate 'optimized access'.
3. Load to PLC, done!
4. If the changes doesn't have any effects use 'extended download to device' to load to PLC.
Access to a logo! PLC doesn't work, what should I do?
It is possible to access inputs, outputs, flags and accessible DBs. The access to a logo! plc is disabled by default. You have to process the following steps:
1. Choose Extras >> Ethernet-Connection (Context menu) new connection:
2. Use the following settings:
3. Save and load to the plc, done!